Saturday, February 28, 2009

Papa the Hero


They say there are only two kinds of people in an emergency situation, those who help and those who don't. You never really know which one you are until you are presented with an emergency situation. Mike proved that not only is he one that helps, but he runs to the emergency.

We were enjoying our last day on the beach before we had to pack to leave. The beach was lined with red flags, which means danger...no swimming. We were enjoying the sun and listening to the huge waves crash. Tom and Marissa said they were heading back to the condo to get ready and Mike said we were staying another 15 minutes. Just after Tom and Marissa walked away, I heard someone yell "help" and I asked Mike if he heard it. We looked down into the surf and saw two people way out in the big surf. Then we both heard the yell for help again. Within seconds Mike threw his hat and glasses off, while I yelled at him "Don't go, don't go!" Mike said "I can't just leave them" and he was off running 100 yards down the beach and jumped in swimming out to help.

He swam out to the crashing waves and grabbed the woman from her husband and started swimming back to shore. He kept telling her "Hold on, help is coming". Another man on the beach had swam out to help, as well. Finally, lifeguards arrived and threw a buoy out. Mike got the buoy to the woman and pulled her in. I was on the beach panicking and crying. I couldn't see that Mike had made it back to the beach. Tom and Marissa had heard the screams and came back to see what was happening. They told me that they saw Mike and he was okay and they came and grabbed Bradyn. The lifeguard came over and shook Mike's hand. The woman that Mike saved came over to us and thanked Mike and apologized to me. Everyone was safe, although extremely fatigued and waterlogged.

Luckily, through all of this, Bradyn was oblivious to what happened, even though the rest of us were shaken up. It was a slow walk back to our beach chairs and once there, all the bystanders applauded Mike. Bradyn can be proud that his papa is a hero.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike we are proud of you, you are truly a hero, Bud said the next time we go to the beach, it will definitely only be with you.
So glad you are all home again safe & sound and that that other couple is safe too, thanks to you.
Love you Mom & Dad, Oomba & Oompa Taresh

Nicole Brueck said...

What a wonderful man your husband is Heidi, you should be so proud!

Anonymous said...

Wow... That makes me cry.. but I'm not the least bit surprised by the story. I always knew you guys were special..

Much love... allie and jesse

Anonymous said...

you are a true hero mike. they were lucky you were there we are glad everyone is ok. love kevin shelia

Anonymous said...

Mike, Heidi, and Brady,
What an exciting last day on the beach. We are so proud of you, Mike, and would have expected nothing less from you. You truly are a hero. Thanks for sharing photos and updates. We certainly love being kept up to date. Glad you had a wonderful vacation, and that once again Brady adapts so well to new experiences. I wish I could get inside his head. I can't imagine what his thoughts must be. We will talk to you soon, and thanks for reinforcing the fact that you are the best son anyone could ask for.
We love you all
Mom and Dad
Oompa and Oomba Lee

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog page, it looks so good. I give you the "Best Blog Page Award".
Of course it's easy to have a beautiful page when you have a
perfectly beautiful subject to work with.....
Love you Mom XOXOXOXOX For Brady.

Amy said...

HOLY SUPERMAN!!! WOW -- that story gave me chills! I always knew that Mike was a true gentleman... but ... I don't even know what to say. Proud to say I know you both! :)

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Wow! Way to go, Mike!!!

Troy and Rachel said...

Way to go Mike!!! You will certainly be blessed for such a selfless act. Your new blog page looks great! I love the header photo!