Saturday, November 8, 2008

Home Sweet Home

There's no place like home! We arrived home last Sunday night to a nice clean house that was decorated for our arrival and a home cooked meal! Thanks to Mom, Dad, and my sister Tami. Our day of traveling was long and exhausting...during our 29 hours of travel and layovers Mike got about 10 minutes of sleep and I got about 30 minutes. Bradyn did pretty well for it being such a long day, but there were quite a few tears, mainly when we tried to change diapers! We discovered that he will only go poopka in his diaper if it is clean and dry. We learned this on our flight to SLC from Chicago on a tiny airplane. He had a wet diaper, so I walked down the narrow aisle knocking people in the heads, finally getting to the bathroom only to learn that there wasn't a changing table tray. He was screaming and crying as I tried to figure out what to do, alas, we changed the diaper standing up! We made the trek back to our seats, got buckled in, and you guessed it...poopka! Back down the aisle! Oh well, at least we were on the flight and it was our last leg home. Our layover in Chicago was only 2 hours and we had to go through customs, recheck our luggage, immigrate Bradyn as a US citizen (which we were told would take at least 45 minutes), and make it to the domestic terminal! It was a close call, but there was nothing that was going to keep us off that plane!

So, the big question has been "How will Bradyn do with the dogs?" I think this picture answers that question...


He was SO excited to see the dogs and continues to be! He really loves the cat and spends his days saying "ow, ow"...which we think means "meow". The dogs were a little jealous at first, but now they've learned that Brady is a walking treat dispenser and they follow him constantly!

Our transition home has gone fairly well, although we've hit a few bumps in the road. My Mom stayed with us for the week, which was a HUGE help for me, especially since Mike went back to work. Thanks for everything Mom! Oh, it is so nice to be home!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dad, Tami & I got home tonight, and already I miss you three. I was so happy to be able to spend the week helping, wish it could have been longer, but there comes a time when even doting Babushkas, must go home.
I hope you are feeling better, was so happy to see your blog......
Give him a big hug & kiss for us, and hopefully you'll be able to come up next weekend. hugs to Sierra, Eiger &
Ow too.
Love you Mom & dad/Grandma & Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Man, I've been checking every day to see how Bradyn has been doing, and you've kept me waiting in suspense for a whole week! I kept reminding myself how crazy my first week as a parent was, so I'll forgive you, but keep posting because I love reading about all the fun moments. I'm so happy for the 3 of you! Rachelle

The Wilson's said...

Welcome home! I know how comforting it is to be back in the US and your own bed! I hope that you settle in well!

Amy said...

Been thinking about you all week! So glad to hear all is well. What a cute little guy - he seems to be fitting in so well with the dogs and in his new country!

When you get a spare moment (ha!), please drop me your snail mail address at: danivann@aol.com. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mike, Heidi, and BRADYN,
Enjoyed your last entry. Can't wait till we can all meet him in person. Things will get easier as time goes on.

Love you all,

Mom, Dad, Bill, Shirley, Kathy, Ken
from Branson

Joel and Clarion said...

Welcome home! Blessings on all of your adjustments to this wonderful new life!

Anonymous said...

WE ARE SO HAPPY YOU GUYS ARE HOME AND GLAD WE GOT SOME MORE NEWS FROM THE BLOG. IT LOOKS LIKE ALL IS WELL. LOVE KEVIN SHELIA

Marissa said...

Welcome Home!!!

Nicole Brueck said...

Yay! Welcome home! I remember that plane flight being the longest part of the trip, and you REALLY had a long flight.
Enjoy being home and just being a family now. The time goes so quick!

HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Welcome home Fami-Lee! We love hearing your stories from Mike about the latest parenting adventures. And we can't wait to break Bradyn into some girly play dates with Kendal and Anika. He looks so happy with the dogs that our girls are really getting jealous of his new pets. Love, Ineke and Ryan

Roger and Joanne said...

Welcome back to the USA! I've been checking all week to hear how the flight went. Wow...less than an hour of sleep.
Is your Golden named Sierra? We had a Golden named Sierra. I'm so glad Bradyn is happy with the dogs.
Well...I'll look forward to any updates on how the adjustment of the new family is going. If you can, email me personally some time and I'd like to hear the specifics of our agency (LA) and what that process has been. hurni@cox.net

-Joanne

Nancy said...

Yeah! Home! Good to see the update!

I remember the plane ride home with my little guy! We had a "stand up" diaper change as well, LOL!

I remember a few months ago, we emailed about this future, awesome time in your life. Now, here it is!!! Enjoy! Soak it all in!!!

:)

Pezlady Jana said...

Hooray!! So glad you are home!! I well remember the "adjustments" of the first little while home with kids. Hang in there. Sending hugs and kisses your way. Love, the Sperrys

True Story said...

aww how sweet. safe to say he likes his sabaka!!! i am so glad you are home and safe and happy. amen! best of luck with momhood, you sure look like a natural! we will chat when things settle down for you .

Carey and Norman said...

Welcome Home. Glad to see you made it home safely. I look forward to photos and updates as you settle into life at home. Bradyn is adorable!!

michellechard said...

Hi Heidi and Mike and Bradyn! I'm so glad you are home with your boy! I've discovered the same thing on planes. So not ok to not have a changing table! Well, I'm enjoying reading your blog. Happy Thanksgiving!