Monday, November 10, 2008

A Week In Review

BubbleShare: Share photos - Find great Clip Art Images.

I don't quite remember a whole lot from our first week home as I was suffering from jetlag and extreme dehydration or I may have caught a bug. So, everything was a bit of a blur the first few days. I don't know how I would have survived last week without Mike and my Mom, but I'm feeling much better now.

We were finally able to bathe Bradyn once we got home. In Moscow, our hotel room didn't have a tub and the sink was too small for our hefty 23 pound, 16 month old! So, we had to wait until we got home to brave the bath ritual. We feared that he'd scream constantly like he did with the last bath, but the kid has got to be cleaned! So, Mike came up with a great idea to let him play in the tub without water and make it really fun. Genius! It worked! We spent some time playing in the tub during the day and then that evening we filled the tub with toys and bubbles. We played with the toys before we got in and next thing we know, he's wanting to get in! He splashed and laughed and tried to slide around! He loves it!! Yay!

The next day, while Mike was at work, Bradyn filled his pants with, you guessed it, poopka!! Poopka was everywhere and he decided he'd help me by grabbing at himself! Oh boy! My solution was to give him a bath...especially since he loves baths! So, I had my mom hold his hands while I ran and filled the tub. Well, we have one of those handy plastic tub spout covers that go over the water spout so he won't hit his head. I failed to notice that it had turned and the water spout was covered, so all the water that was supposed to be going in the tub, was shooting backwards and pouring all over the floor. It took me a second to realize what happened...which added more water to the floor. My wet socks finally made me realize what was wrong! Finally the tub was filled and I ran to get my poopy boy. He was thrilled to see it was bathtime and all was well again...until, he started crying to get out within minutes. So, I got him out started drying him off and then he started peeing all over the already wet floor!! Once he finished he wanted to get back in the tub...I guess swimming pools will love us!

Other special moments...Papa had to start back to work and we said bye-bye to him in the morning. The rest of the day, whenever I would talk about Papa, Bradyn would wave bye-bye. Once Mike got home from work, he was SO excited to see him and practically leaped out of my arms to get to him!

Neenee, our cat, is the big obsession. He talks about her while he's eating, when he wakes up, while he's playing and so on. Luckily, Neenee is really great with him and puts up with the obsession.

Machinas...boy does he love cars! We were worried that he wouldn't like the car seat, considering he had never been in one before. He loves it though...I think just the fact that he gets to be in a car, he'll put up with anything.

He experienced our backyard for the first time, and we believe it was his first experience with grass. He was thrilled! He ran and ran and ran and giggled and giggled some more!

Papa taught Bradyn how to do high five for his first Packer game. Unfortunately, we weren't able to do it very often during the game, but he's got it down! He looked so cute in his Packer jersey!

Now, it's on to week 2 and so far so good! Life is good!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get used to the poopka - there's going to be a lot of it ;) I hope that you are feeling better Heidi! Mike I hope that you don't get sick!!!

I just spoke with my mom who returned from a trip to Japan last week. She said that she met a woman who was coming home with her new 4 year old daughter. Apparently, the Japanese adoption process requires the new parents to take their children home for a 4 month "trial period" and then they have to jump through more hoops. Luckily, the woman successfully completed all of the requirements and was taking her daughter home for good. My mom was thinking of your family and she was thankful that you did not have to deal with the "trial period" and that Brady was yours forever!

Love you guys!
Suzanne

Carey and Norman said...

So glad to hear that Bradyn loves baths!! That is good news. Loved the pee and poop stories...welcome to motherhood. Don't you love it? I just smiled remember our little guy!

Anonymous said...

Just read the blog, the pictures are
adorable. So sorry the Packers let you down yesterday, even if Brady didn't watch the whole game, he looked darling in his shirt.
I miss him so much, wish you lived a bit closer so I could catch up daily,
but maybe this is better ;-(
Love you all.
Mom & Dad/Grandma & Grandpa

Nicole Brueck said...

Cute Cute!
Sorry about your Packers, well, okay, since I am in MN, I don't feel TOO bad! :)

Sounds like the first week home is going just fine and dandy. Pretty soon poopka will be old hat to change. Glad he likes his bath too!

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I just love a little boy in an NFL football jersey! He is just so handsome! What a first couple of weeks home. Just think of all the great stories you'll have to embarass him with during the teenage years!

Roger and Joanne said...

Thanks for sharing all the details of the first week. The trials and tribulations all first mothers will go through can be hard at times but also can be quite funny. So glad you're feeling better and you all are adjusting so well with one another. Great pics!

-Joanne

Amy said...

Great pictures and stories, I think I am still laughing!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting Bradyn! I ask my mom to check the blog everyday to see all that you have been doing. We love looking at the pictures and reading all about him and your trip. We had a fun fieldtrip and now I love being off track. I can't wait to meet Bradyn sometime at school. I miss you.
Love, Max S.

Anonymous said...

Heidi
I remember the first trip to Idaho for Riley, she did well all the way to Idaho. About 40 miles from Pocatello, she just fell apart, poop from head to toe. We stopped at the Cold water area rest stop, 4 in the morning, I'm standing there holding a flashlight and my nose, while Teresa changed her. I think the average is 9000 diapers from birth to potty trained. You'll get to be an expert. Come to think of it, I had my fair share of changing your diapers...
I can see the poor kid needs another shirt, maybe I'll get him a Vikings shirt or something..hehe..
Well I'm hitting the sack. Take care
Dave, Teresa, Riley....

Pollock Family said...

Heidi,
I am so happy for you, your blog brought tears of happines to me today... I know how hard you worked for happy days ahead of you, and it getts only better from here ,every day you will get suprised of how much more love you have for your son and life together.
I can not even remember how living was before we had Nadia...We love every moment.. and they are going by fast... tomorrow is 2 months since court day and 2 months living together,
The best 2 months of my life..
Ivana

Troy and Rachel said...

Sounds like you are managin motherhood just fine even with all the bumps in the road. The spout cover thing cracked me up because I could totally see myself doing that. Glad the animals are taking kindly to a new one!!

Joy said...

I am taking down the tips. Plenty of towels in the bathroom for the floor and no socks while bathing.
Very cute story.
Joy