Thursday, November 13, 2008

Transitions…

While we were waiting for Bradyn to come into our lives, we had lots of time to dream about parenthood. Our head was filled with Kodak moment images of big, happy smiles, and being dressed to the hilt in the cutest clothes. A Martha Stewart-esque home with big bouquets of flowers everywhere and beautifully presented gourmet meals. You know…the picture of the beautiful family in the photo frame that you bought at the store.

Fast forward to reality…yes, we have Kodak moment images of Brady, but heaven forbid a camera to be pointed in my direction! A shower is a coveted act now and if a shower does happen, my hair still looks a mess! No such thing as a Martha Stewart home when you have a layer of dog fur on the floor because you don’t have time to vacuum. And the beautifully presented meals? What was I thinking…I couldn’t even boil eggs before Bradyn, why did I think I would magically turn into a gourmet cook once we had a baby?

Yes, reality…it is actually more beautiful than what we dreamed. Despite the lack of personal care, Bradyn still comes to me and Mike still loves me. The dog fur…Bradyn likes to pick up little piles and bring them to me, so little by little that is being taken care of. As far as the food goes…I’ve actually cooked meals every night this week, it may not look good or taste good, but we are all eating! The best part is laying my head down at night, seeing a precious little face peacefully asleep, and Mike and I looking at each other with nothing but gratitude in our eyes. The added bonus…hearing my boys snoring in harmony.

AND...this photo is proof that not all perfect Kodak moments have to be big smiles...isn't he beautiful?

11 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Welcome to motherhood...isn't it grand?

As I've been told, the chores can wait. Our kiddos are only little for a short while! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Amy said...

he IS beautiful!

Anonymous said...

It's like I've always said, "Parenting, the hardest job you'll ever LOVE". He is adorable, and you
do look beautiful, with your hair pulled back in the clip Brady brings to you and insists you put in your
hair. When he grows up, he'll never remember that the house may have been
a bit messy or the meals weren't picture perfect, but he will remember the times you spent playing with him and all the fun times you had, so enjoy....
He'll be grown before you know it....
Love you.
Mom & Dad/Grandma & Grandpa

Troy and Rachel said...

Welcome to the club. I either shower at nap time or first thing in the am before Daniel gets up and some days, well, I'm right there with you. And yes - he is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

you are doing great and im sure the meals are great .and you always look good. love kevin shelia

Roger and Joanne said...

Having not brought my child home yet, I do appreciate the honesty you give and the visual you paint. I will try to get those Martha Stewart images out of mind that I find myself dreaming of, too. :-)

Love the "Kodak" moment pic!

-Joanne

Pezlady Jana said...

Well you taught one of my kids and sometimes her hair wasn't even combed...so yeah, life happens. You are wonderful and it will get better. This is why we loved you as a teacher...because you are REAL!

Unknown said...

i've finally managed to stop crying long enough to comment.

you guys are beautiful, and i'm so, so happy for you. life is only to get better, and someday you'll be able to shower every day :)

yay for babies!

Sara said...

Sounds like your life is pretty perfect to me.

He's an absolute doll!

We love checking up on you two. Seeing how happy you are and knowing that you made it through gives us so much hope! Keep up the posts and the beautiful pictures of Bradyn!

-Sara

Nicole Brueck said...

FWIW-I remember (or maybe a better statement would be I barely remember) that first month being a blur of trying to get to know each other, finding out what makes him tick, determining a schedule, etc.
Over 3 months later we are in a groove and life is even better than we ever thought. It was like he was never not here ya know?
And a shower? On days I don't work I know of no such thing...LOL!
Welcome to motherhood my friend!

Joy said...

I am still in the Martha's world and day dreaming most of the day.
Joy