Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Waiting…again!

Today was the last time we were able to see Bradyn until our “Gotcha Day”. That means 5 days ahead of us trying to figure out what to do in our hotel room. Bradyn was very upset when he was brought into the room today. Every time a caregiver would try and distract him, he would get even more upset. The only thing that seemed to console him was holding him close and walking back and forth. Easy enough, however, he has no idea how to sit on my hip and wrap his legs. We think this is because they aren’t held very often. So trying to hold 23 pounds with stiff legs was a bit of a challenge for my weakling arms! Meanwhile, Mike was filling out paperwork for the embassy with our facilitator. We think they are trying to get as much done here, so when we go to Moscow we won’t have as much to do. The caregivers were decorating the room we were in for their fall celebration tomorrow. Bradyn would keep looking at them and then start crying. Finally, they left and he was able to settle down. We showed him the photo of our dogs again, and amidst the sniffles he was able to muster “Buh-ba-ba” (Sabaka). He spent the rest of the time on our laps playing with the toys we gave him. He especially loved looking into the diaper bag and taking out the toys…then putting them back…then taking them out, and so on. It is common for Russians to wear the same outfit a couple of days in a row, such is the case with Bradyn’s outfit the last 2 days. Yesterday, he was wearing red tights, with tight blue shorts over the top and a purple shirt. We thought he looked like a hockey player ready for practice. To add to the hockey look, he had a cut on his nose because he had climbed onto table and it fell on him. To help the cut heal they put the purple paste on it, so it looked like he had a big bruise between his eyes. He makes an awfully cute hockey player! Today he was wearing the same outfit, but his tights were pink, and his blue shorts looked like a leotard, so I thought he looked like a ballerina, regardless, he is absolutely adorable.

Now, we are sitting in our hotel room watching old episodes of Northern Exposure, drinking Orange Fanta, and eating cheese crackers. Obviously Scrabble and Cribbage will be our favorite pastime the next 5 days. It helps that there are several other families that are here right now, so it is nice to commiserate on our wonderful journeys.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved the picture you painted of our little hockey player turned ballerina
Yes he is perfect, regardless of the outfit......I pray these days go by fast, not only for you & Mike, but for little Bradyn, he too needs the
comfort of your arms and the stability of home.
Can't wait to meet him....
Love you all, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Alex is only starting to kind of help me hold him. He has always liked to sit upright and when I carry him around, I feel more like a car... It does get better. Calvin who weighs about 35 pounds feels lighter than Alex (who weighs about 30 pounds) because he does cling on and his weight is more distributed.

I remember looking forward to having a little baby after having Calvin who was really heavy all of the time... Then Alex was over 10 pounds when he was born. I was used to carrying Cal around while I was pregnant and Alex STILL seemed really heavy! I can't image starting with a 23 pounder!!! Don't worry though - your endurance will catch up and you'll have the best biceps ever :) It helps that Brady is walking too!

By the way, it’s common for my kids to wear the same pajama’s for a couple of days in a row…

I LOVE the “Buh-ba-ba” – again, Brady’s a GENIUS! I may SEEM sarcastic, but I'm not!

Hang in there and we will all pray that your wait goes quickly! Get some sleep!!!

Love,
Suzanne

Troy and Rachel said...

Sounds like your visits are going well and Bradyn is warming up to you. As for the holding, we had to teach Daniel to wrap his legs around us. Now he does it without question and when he is upset or needs to be held, he holds on with those legs for dear life! Try to enjoy the next five days and soak it all in. I actually miss Russia!

Carey and Norman said...

Glad you last visit at the orphanage went well. I know the next five days will be long, but Bradyn will be in your arms before you know it. Just enjoy spending time with one another, watching old re-runs, and possibly walking to the beach a few times a day :o) I cannot wait to hear about Gotcha Day and see photos!!

Did you happen to bring an Ergo carrier? Our daughter didn't show signs of being carried either. When we picked her up, she was like a terrior that straightens their hind legs. It was quiet humourous. The Ergo worked well for us. I don't know if you'd be able to find a carrier like that in Russia or not. Just a thought! Maybe something to do over the next five days?

Anonymous said...

Your story brings back memories of waiting for Dena. It's all worth it, believe me. We're thinking of you guys daily, and pray everything goes well.
Love,
Bill & Shirl

Amy said...

one more apartment rental for you...

bestmoscowapartmentrentals.com

name is Dave....

Roger and Joanne said...

Glad to hear the visits are getting better. I agree with the others...really soak up the rest of your alone time together. Can you walk to downtown Vlad? How far is it? Does every adoptive couple have to stay there?
Loved the "tights" description. Gotta love em'.

Take care,
-Joanne

Nancy said...

Following your journey & loving every word! I cannot wait to go to Russia for my little girl. Hopefully soon!

Enjoy the time in Russia, soak up every minute! I am sure that Bradyn will know who mama & papa are before you leave Russia!

I loved the picture you painted of his outfit today! LOL, I wanted to keep the outfit my son had on every time I went to see him. But, the baby house couldn't part with it. My son was always in a pink/yellow jumper with blue tights & a purple shirt. Quite the outfit!

I know you might have already thought of this, but since you do have several days to fill & if you have a video camera . . . set it up & record a narrative of each day & the special details you don't want to forget. I found this to be so helpful in remembering all the little things about the baby house, food, sights & sounds of Russia that I didn't get written down. It also fills some time!!!

I am looking forward to seeing some pictures!!! I can't wait to see that precious little face of Bradyn with his mama & papa!

Take care, rest up & enjoy! Gotcha Day is just around the corner!

Anonymous said...

we hope the days go fast so you can have him forever.we cant wait until you guys have him and you will never have to be apart again love kevin,shelia

Anonymous said...

p.s. I don't know if you get unlimited access to the internet or if it's a "pay as you go" type of thing but you can see some office episodes on www.hulu.com

http://www.hulu.com/watch/39647/the-office-baby-shower

I'm still planning on sending you a disc of this season's episodes.

Hang in there during your waiting...

Love,
Suz